National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
Ontario remembers the 14 female engineering students who were murdered at l’École Polytechnique de Montréal on December 6, 1989 by an act of gender-based violence. We also commemorate the missing and murdered Aboriginal women, the trans-women and each and every woman in Ontario and across the world whose lives have been harmed or lost to gender-based violence.
The 14 women at l’École Polytechnique de Montréal, were killed in a gender-based act of violence. They were:
- Geneviève Bergeron (born 1968), civil engineering student
- Hélène Colgan (born 1966), mechanical engineering student
- Nathalie Croteau (born 1966), mechanical engineering student
- Barbara Daigneault (born 1967), mechanical engineering student
- Anne-Marie Edward (born 1968), chemical engineering student
- Maud Haviernick (born 1960), materials engineering student
- Maryse Laganière (born 1964), budget clerk in the École Polytechnique’s finance department
- Maryse Leclair (born 1966), materials engineering student
- Anne-Marie Lemay (born 1967), mechanical engineering student
- Sonia Pelletier (born 1961), mechanical engineering student
- Michèle Richard (born 1968), materials engineering student
- Annie St-Arneault (born 1966), mechanical engineering student
- Annie Turcotte (born 1969), materials engineering student
- Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz (born 1958), nursing student
In 1991, the Parliament of Canada declared December 6th to be the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women.
The day now represents a time to reflect on the phenomenon of violence against women in our society. It is also a day for communities and individuals to speak out against all forms of violence against women and its impact on victims and their families and friends.
The Ontario government is helping to stop sexual violence and harassment with its Action Plan It’s Never Okay, and the introduction of legislation to help make workplaces, campuses and communities safer.
In Ontario, candlelight vigils, memorial services, and other events are held throughout the province.
Women In Crisis will be hosting a Memorial Event on:
- Tuesday December 6th, 2016
- 6:30 PM
- THE GALLERY: Banquet Room L1120 (located at SAULT COLLEGE off Willow Ave.)
Please mark your calendars and consider joining us this year as we spend the evening honouring the lives of these women and uniting our voices and causes towards ending abuse and violence against all women and children.