Women In Crisis Commitment to you
We hope that your stay at our Shelter will provide you with what you need. We look forward to
supporting you with your goals in some of the following ways:
- Meeting with you for counselling or supportive listening
- With housing information and forms
- With referrals to the services you are looking for in your community.
- With information about safety planning, parenting and problem solving
- Providing Groups for you and your children, including house meetings where communal living expectations are presented
- Protecting your confidentiality: WIC shares your information only with your signed release. We can answer any questions you may have about confidentiality
- Providing a safe nonviolent shelter for you and your children.
Your commitment to Women In Crisis
As a Shelter resident, I understand that WIC staff must consider all house residents, including children.
I agree to the following being an important part of residing in Shelter:
- My emotional and physical safety and that of my children, other residents (including children) and staff is promoted through a violence free environment
- Providing supervision for my children
- Maintaining the confidentially of all shelter residents, staff & volunteers
- Understanding that we all benefit from a clean and safe living environment
- Being responsible for safe storage of my belongings
Our Vision is to live in a society free of all forms of abuse and violence towards women and children.
Women In Crisis (Algoma) Inc., is an innovative non-profit community based organization working to provide advocacy, support, safe shelter, programs, and services for all women and children affected by abuse and violence. Women In Crisis provides leadership, education, and awareness to the community on the issues of woman abuse.
Women In Crisis (Algoma) Inc., works within a feminist perspective to provide a safe and supportive environment through confidentiality, empowerment, and respect to women and their children who have been or are being affected by abuse and/or violence.
Services based on individual needs include:
- 24-hour, 7 days/week, accessibility to shelter and support services,
- Individualized and/or group, long term and crisis abuse counselling,
- Telephone/walk-in crisis counselling,
- Awareness and education,
- Systemic and individual advocacy,
- Referral services, and
- Safe housing support.
THE FEMINIST PERSPECTIVE
In working within a feminist perspective to achieve our Mission we:
- Acknowledge that a power imbalance between genders exists
- Commit to putting women first to overcome this imbalance and work towards ending this oppression
- Empower women to fully realize their intrinsic worth, strengths, and values and understand that inequalities still exist
- Recognize that this power imbalance is caused by the beliefs, attitudes, and value towards women throughout history
- Realize women are oppressed, with many being multi-oppressed (e.g. gender, race, sexual orientation, ability, poverty, etc.)
- Recognize that both women and men must work together toward achieving a true balance of power for all