Risk Factors: Am I in an abusive/unhealthy relationship?
- Have you ever felt scared of her/his temper?
- Do you need to justify everything you do, everywhere you go, and everyone you see to avoid his/her anger?
- Do you feel confused when s/he puts you down but then says, “I love you” ?
- Are you afraid to end the relationship because s/he has threatened to hurt you, your family, friend or pet?
- Does your friend blame you when s/he becomes angry?
- Do you have to defend or apologize for his/her behaviour to your friends or family?
- Are you afraid to disagree?
- Do you feel like you have to “walk on eggshells” so s/he won’t get mad?
- Have you been kept away from your friends or family?
- Do you feel embarrassed in front of others by her/his words or actions?
- Are you afraid to say no to your friend?
- Are you afraid to say no to sex?
- Have you ever been hit, pushed, grabbed, kicked, and/or shoved?
- Has your partner thrown things at you?
- Are you often wrongly accused of flirting with others?
- Are you criticized for how you look, talk, or dress?
- Does s/he make fun of something that you feel vulnerable about?
- Are you forced into sexual activity that you are uncomfortable with?
- Can you go out, get a job, or join a club/team without his/her permission?
- Have you ever been humiliated or “put down” in front of your friends?
- Do you believe that s/he is jealous because s/he loves you so much?
- Do you stay because you feel you can change or help her/him?
- Do you feel you cannot tell anyone because either they won’t believe you or they will think you are stupid to stay?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS AND/OR WISH TO TALK WITH A COUNSELLOR ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP PLEASE CALL 705.759.1230.
WE ARE HERE 24/7 READY AND WILLING TO LISTEN.